Don't Stop the ACLU

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

A Vox upon you

Every now and then a person so ridiculous comes along that I have no problem dismissing everything he says based on principle. Pat Robertson and Jerry Falwell top my list of such people, but tonight I'll add another one: WorldNetDaily columnist Vox Day (nee Theodore Beale).

I spotted this on C&L earlier tonight. I took one for the team and read the whole thing so you don't have to. Please don't read it. The only reason you should click on that link is to peep this man's reverse-Costanza hairstyle. I try so hard not to comment on otherwise meaningless things like fashion, but in this case I just can't let it slide.

I also can't let that name slide, either. Vox Day. Vox. Day. It's pseudo-Latin, I guess. "Vox" means "voice," of course, but "Day" is a little more difficult to translate, since there's no Y in the original Latin alphabet. I'll give him the benefit of the doubt and assume it simply means "day," and I'll even let him apply the genitive case to it. So he calls himself "Voice of the Day." A little silly, yes, but it's his name. However, there exists another possibility. Perhaps his pseudonym is a not-so-subtle allusion to the phrase "vox dei," which means "the voice of God." I certainly wouldn't put it past him, but I'll let you draw your own conclusions.

A little more information about Mr. Day is provided at the end of the column, informing the reader that Vox is, among other things, a member of Mensa, which instantly loses him points in my book. Members of Mensa have two things in common: 1) They have very high IQs, and 2) They like to tell people about their very high IQs. One typically joins Mensa by paying the Mensa organization to test him. If his IQ is deemed high enough, he may then join Mensa, pay Mensa an annual fee, and tell people that he is a member of Mensa. As far as worthwhile things go, this is right up there ceiling-watching. It's also fun to note that "mensa" means the following things in different languages: table (Latin), jerk (Latin-American Spanish slang), stupid (Spanish slang), canteen (Italian & German), and menstruation (Swedish, approximately). What I'm trying to say is that it takes a special kind of asshole to join Mensa, and an even more special asshole to append every one of his WND columns with a notice to his readers that he is, in fact, a genius. The strikes are piling up pretty quickly, Vox.

But let's get down to the column in question. I've never read this guy's stuff before, because I only visit WorldNetDaily maybe once a month by accident. WND is basically FOX News without the veil of fair-n-balancedness, which I suppose is better in some ways. WND's ridiculousness is readily apparent to the outsider, and Vox Day is certainly no exception.

This particular piece concerns itself with the issue du jour, immigration reform. Mr. Day is among those on the right who are so adamant about hermetically sealing the US-Mexico border and launching illegal immigrants back to Mexico with a giant catapult that they're turning on President Bush, dubbed "Dear Jorge" by Mr. Day. Of course they're overreacting, but if someone wants to turn on GWB, I won't stand in his way. (I might even surreptitiously encourage him.)

Mr. Day's major beef with the Prez is W's claim that rounding up and booting the 12,000,000 or so illegal immigrants in the US isn't feasible. Vox claims otherwise, arguing that a massive deportation wouldn't be hard at all. Perhaps if he would clarify his argument - with an analogy, perhaps.

Obliging, Mr. Day writes:
Not only will [a massive deportation] work, but one can easily estimate how long it would take. If it took the Germans less than four years to rid themselves of 6 million Jews, many of whom spoke German and were fully integrated into German society, it couldn't possibly take more than eight years to deport 12 million illegal aliens, many of whom don't speak English and are not integrated into American society.

Please give me a moment to pick my jaw up off the floor and stop blinking in disbelief before I continue.

Wow, Vox. The Holocaust, huh? You racked your Mensa mind for something to compare to the deportation of 12,000,000 people who snuck across an imaginary line in the dirt, and you came up with the Holocaust. Not just any old holocaust, but the Holocaust. The capital-H Holocaust. Should we try to find some of the Fuhrer's DNA, clone him, and see if he wants to help us out?

I won't even go on refuting the other nonsense in this column. I can't go on. All I'll say is that I think Vox Day needs some extensive analogy training before he should be allowed to write again. Maybe we need to institute some sort of analogy license that allows only registered members to use analogies when they write. Rule No. 1: Don't fucking compare anything to the Holocaust unless it involves 6,000,000 innocent people being slaughtered!

Alright, alright. I've gone on for too long. I hate calling people out like this and ripping them apart, but I felt the need in this case. I do hope you'll understand.
posted by Maj. M.T. Rational XXXIV at 2:06 AM

3 Comments:

Blogger NGA said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

May 17, 2006 2:07 PM  
Blogger NGA said...

I'm not sure of the spelling in Latin, but it's a take off of Vox Dei, which translates to "voice of God". He's beyond pathetic!

May 17, 2006 2:09 PM  
Blogger Bill from Dover said...

I used to play in a very loud rock-&-roll band. I had a 200 watt fender amp. The bass player used a Vox. Now I know why he always sounded distorted.

May 29, 2006 9:49 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home