Don't Stop the ACLU

Wednesday, June 07, 2006

Reason prevails ...

... by a wafer-thin margin.

Obviously, we here at DSTA are glad Congress thumbed its collective nose at the proposed marriage-defining amendment today, but I for one am not impressed. Yeah, yeah, I know, they would have needed two-thirds for it to go anywhere, but that's still too slight a majority for my liking. Call me a pessimist, but what the figure means to me is not that the American legislative branch is a shining beacon of tolerance and love that gave the official smackdown to homophobics everywhere, but that nearly half of these guys voted *for* the amendment. It means a significant portion of the population will continue to be marginalized and hated and feared in this country for years to come -- if not by everyone, at least by a good big chunk of people.

It's tempting to blame organized religion for this, but I won't do it. It doesn't take an organized religion to produce a hateful (or frightened or suspicious) person who claims friendship with a higher power.

Sometimes it just takes a mother and a father.
posted by Maven Swift at 11:01 PM

1 Comments:

Blogger New-wave said...

I totally agree. I think a lot of people are just going to accept the fact that it was turned down and move on...when the real issue should be that so many people DIDN'T turn it down. It would've been sad had it even got only a few votes.

June 08, 2006 12:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home