Don't Stop the ACLU

Monday, June 19, 2006

U.A.D.: M.A.D. for the modern generation

I'm calling off my blogging hiatus on account of Ms. Maven Swift having to write a shitload of shit for work this week. In her absence, I have to keep the wheels turning, but I figure she owes us all about a dozen posts at this point, don't you think?

I come to you this evening with an important message, one I've discussed previously on this site: Calm the fuck down! While I was making my nightly rounds of respectable news websites, I found this, this, this, and this. We're now engaged in doomsdayism on two fronts: Iran and North Korea, but just because a couple of countries who don't like us have le bombe atomique and now the means to deliver it doesn't mean we're on the brink of World War Whatever (III, IV, V, or VI, depending on whom you ask). While mutually assured destruction was the best deterrent we had during the Cold War, now we have something even better: unilaterally assured destruction. Excuse me if I sound like a right-wing war hawk, but the fact that we have about 10,000 nuclear weapons and our enemies have something like four - take the under if you're betting - gives us a slight advantage. The powers that be in Iran and North Korea know full well that if they launch a nuclear weapon at any other nation in the world, their destruction is assured. Since so much of what is written on the Internet is misconstrued, and I don't want to be considered a warmonger, let me elaborate:

1) Nuclear weapons are 100% bad, and they should not exist.
2) At this point it's impractical and dangerous to completely disarm.
3) Nuclear weapons should only be used as a last resort - a f'real last resort, not a war in Iraq kind of last resort.
4) Once democracy has been spread throughout the world - but not by violent means, mind you - then we damn well better disarm across the board.

So everyone just needs to drink some beer, smoke some dope (if that's your thing), and chill out. Nukes aren't going to be raining from the sky, so let's trust that the people who need to take care of this are taking care of this and talk about more important things like the World Cup, the resurgence of the Detroit Tigers, or Phil Mickelson's monumental choke job in the U.S. Open.
posted by Maj. M.T. Rational XXXIV at 12:15 AM

2 Comments:

Anonymous Dexceus said...

My only ptoblem with this is thinking that BushCo will actually take care of what needs to be taken care of.

June 19, 2006 3:06 AM  
Blogger Bill from Dover said...

Oh, Phil...

June 19, 2006 1:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home